The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

New teachers launch into a new year

A look into three teachers joining OHS Staff: Morgan Watts, Taylor Byron, Jesse Patrick

With the new school year comes new faces at Oviedo High School. Morgan Watts, Taylor Byron, and Jesse Patrick are among them, and their magnetic personalities and interesting teaching habits have students excited to learn.  

Morgan Watts, Fine and Performing Arts

With a bachelor’s degree in music education, Morgan Watts is looking forward to her first year as a chorus and piano teacher. 

“There’s going to be a lot of exciting stuff with the choir, and the students are very enthusiastic.”

Before coming to Oviedo, Watts interned at Lake Brantley High School. When she switched schools, she realized students were much more involved in school events. 

“Lake Brantley had school spirit, don’t get me wrong, but when I came to Oviedo, I was shocked by how animated and excited students were when it came to school,” Watts said. “Not to mention, Dr. Daniel comes in all the time just wanting to know what’s going on. Brantley didn’t always have that, and it’s nice to see people so interested.” 

Watts noted how the staff interacted and showed genuine interest in the choir. 

“It’s cool because I’ll have Dr. Daniel come in just to see what’s going on. It’s nice to feel like people really care about chorus. When we have something planned I’m like ‘Oh! I have to tell so-and-so!’”

While getting used to a new school is difficult for both students and teachers, Watts hasn’t had much trouble because of Oviedo’s supportive environment. 

“There’s been a lot of support from the staff,” she said. “So adjusting hasn’t been too hard.” 

Taylor Byron, ELA

Also new to Oviedo is Taylor Byron, who came to teach at OHS after previously working in Leon County. “I wanted to teach at Oviedo for a few reasons,” she said. “I have had so many people that used to go to OHS tell me what a wonderful school it is and how great the faculty is here.”

Byron has not only impacted students by making ELA a more engaging topic but also by helping her students outside of class. If a student is struggling with AP Capstone Seminar, or just having a bad day, they can count on Byron to be there.

“Ms. Byron is amazing,” said sophomore Oakley True. “She’s supportive and helps me through my learning. It’s also easy to talk to her, so I feel safe, supported, and encouraged to do my work around her.”

Byron’s appeal is likely due to her enthusiasm for teaching and interacting with students. 

“I genuinely enjoy teaching high school English, and the best thing about working at OHS, in my opinion, is being able to get to know and interact with the students.”

Excited for a new school year, Byron is ready to watch her pupils reach their full potential. 

“I am really looking forward to seeing everyone improve and learn. Even if English isn’t your favorite subject, I am excited to see the growth that will occur in every student I have.”

Jesse Patrick, Math

After sixteen years of teaching, Jesse Patrick and his AP Pre-Calculus and SAT-prep classes are taking Oviedo by storm. 

Patrick enjoys his teacher career, which started after helping the neighboring University of Central Florida Knights with their math work. He decided to start an SAT-prep class because, as he said, “I just feel like I dedicated so much time to understanding this test that I know where all the little tricks are to improve your score.” 

Spending his 16 years in Seminole County has given him an upper hand because he’s adjusted to his new school without trouble. 

“I feel like I’m adapting fairly well,” he said. “I’ve been in Seminole County for a long time, so I’m not having to get used to the systems that we use.” 

Patrick’s impact on students is hard to miss. From his careful way of asking questions to his will to make sure his students always understand the topic.

As junior Gianna Rodriguez said, “He makes sure we don’t sound dumb. He just makes us feel smart with how he can word the questions so we can answer them.” 

Patrick’s previous jobs have all molded him into the teacher that students know today. 

“You know, I think every year or every school I go to that I’m impacted based on the people I work with, and the things that are important to them.”