The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Top 10: Lillian Johnson is not 2-Dimensional

The student lives another life behind their academic achievements
Logan Hayes
Lillian Johnson is one of many to achieve Top 10 status but Johnson is distinct for their simpler approach to academics. Not to mention, art has been a medium for Johnson to relax and take their mind off of school. Art has taught Johnson how to manage time along with other important life skills.

Hours pass as Lillian Johnson sketches earnestly, each pencil stroke scratching the paper, leaving delicate trails of graphite behind. Every brush of the pencil help finalize the image: a hand holding a dollar bill. This is not the first of these sketches, many works handling this distinct currency. However, these incredible pieces have been created alongside even more of an impressive achievement, as Johnson is third in their class with an impressive cumulative GPA of 4.65. They have dedicated hours of time to 2D art, dabbling in various mediums, all the while balancing numerous Advanced Placement (AP) classes alongside it.

Fortunately, Johnson faced no pressure from familial figures and achieved their accomplishments through diligence and patience.

“My parents honestly didn’t push me super hard. They knew it was in me to go far when it comes to school, and they’re supportive of my goals,” Johnson said.

Johnson’s mother, Hallie Johnson, described that she was aware of her child’s motivations and continued to cheer them on throughout their high school career. She ensured that it was only the wish of Lillian Johnson to be in the Top 10.

“She had this goal for many years. There was no doubt in my mind that she would achieve it. Lilly was focused, worked very hard, and knew from the first day of school what she was working towards,” Hallie Johnson said.

Although, Lillian Johnson’s mother noticed that another motivational factor may have been a healthy competitive relationship with their sibling. 

“She was definitely inspired by her older brother Charlie who graduated ‘almost’ Top Ten in 2021,” Hallie Johnson said.

Lillian Johnson mentioned how they maintained their grades with such rigorous courses to achieve such an honor, giving advice on how to handle the work classes require to not fall behind and better understand the material. 

“I honestly just did my homework. A lot of students don’t really put that much effort into it, but I always turn my homework in and… took very detailed notes,” Johnson said. “Listen to what your teachers say; it is important, and don’t be afraid to ask questions when you don’t understand some things,” Johnson said.

Art was time off from this demanding workload and gave them a time to relax from its stress. It provides an intrinsic motivation: get the homework done and then let the mind run free. It stabilizes the need for self-care among a taxing school week. 

“With the Top Ten, it is common to take a lot of AP’s. They definitely require a lot of time outside of school, and art was a break for me. It was something I actually enjoyed doing, which probably made it easier for me to do my other work,” Johnson said.

Tonia Letzo, Johnson’s art teacher does not want to hinder her students’ artistic capabilities and allows them to express themselves in whatever way they want to.

“I try to get them to do their own thing, like have their own voice artistically, not just me telling them what their assignments are, and she is doing amazing,” Letzo said. “It didn’t surprise me [that Lillian got Top 10], because she’s super dedicated and talented.”

Hallie Johnson noticed how art has affected her child and values how art has transformed Lillian’s life. It is not just about the actual creation of the piece, but its process and the relief it gives with it.

“I think her artwork gave her the freedom to work on something in a focused way, which she likes, but that also gave her the ability not to stress over the process or the outcome,”  Hallie Johnson said. “Art is a beautiful medium that gives any person the option to create, relieve stress, meditate, and the opportunity to be proud of an outcome all at once.”

Letzo stated that being able to tune in to only the art is an important part of the process. Giving the time to let the emotions wash over the work is what gives the artwork character and a reprieve to the artist.

“To create art is to dedicate your time to being truly in the moment. I believe it makes you a well-rounded individual,” Letzo said.

Johnson has greatly benefited from creating art, noticing that the way a person’s creativity works has changed after years of using 2D art as a mode of self-expression.

“[Art allows you to] pay attention to small details and have an appreciation for the smaller things, like different cultures and art,” Johnson said.

Even Letzo suggested a similar idea about art.

“I think art makes you stop and think and notice things others take for granted or do not know how to express visually,” Letzo said.

Hallie Johnson did describe their child’s art as an important part of who they are and their ability to live authentically. 

“Her art is representative of human nature. I think it is such a healthy manifestation of the human soul. I wish we all had the time, freedom, and encouragement to express ourselves as she had the opportunity to do at OHS,” Hallie Johnson said.