The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Top 10: Payton Parker rises to the top

Senior achieves Top Ten through perseverance and support
Courtesy of Leonards Photography
Payton Parker poses for their senior portrait. This simple portrait marks the beginning of their final year of high school. After thirteen years of similar photos marking their growth, this one signifies the end as they finish school sixth in their class.

Payton Parker, Oviedo High School senior, achieved number six of the Top Ten Graduates. This accomplishment was achieved through continuing on, even when times are tough.

“I am very proud that I was able to graduate in the Top Ten,” Parker shared. “This was a goal of mine since freshman year, and it seemed like such a long journey to get there. Most of this was hard for me mostly because I definitely struggled a little bit to manage all of my classes and persevere through the hard ones.”

Among the teachers who influenced them was Chris Capp, who taught Parker’s AP Physics II class and encouraged them. The class was very demanding, but gave Parker great learning.

“[Capp’s] AP class was a serious struggle this year, but I don’t think I’ve ever learned more in my time at high school.”

Parker’s personality shined through the most, “She is one of the kindest, down to Earth, reliable, and hard working angels I have ever dealt with here at Oviedo,” said Capp.

Kathy Savage, Parker’s Biotechnology II and III teacher, was another teacher whose support helped their success, giving them unwavering support and guidance.

“[Savage] was always there to help me whenever I was struggling,” Parker said “I always had fun in her class.”

In high school, Parker took advantage of opportunities for growth at both a personal and academic level. During high school, Parker utilized Oviedo’s classes, such as AP Research. This allowed them to engage in public presentations relating to science fairs. 

“I am most proud that I was able to work as hard as possible and take every opportunity given to me because I was able to witness my own capabilities and grow as a person,” Parker reflected.

As Parker is going to be graduating from Oviedo High School, they are going to cherish the relationships built with teachers and fellow students.

“I will miss a lot of my teachers and the relationships I formed here,” they shared.

The most meaningful thing to them was not the academics; it was Oviedo’s vibrant school spirit, perhaps the best in the state, and the extracurriculars.

“The best part of OHS is, really, the school spirit and activities,” Parker said. “Most of my core memories from high school are dressing up for football games, spirit week, movies on the lawn, and the school dances.”

As their path opens up into the future, Parker has their eyes set on the University of Florida with plans to major in political science.

“I’m going to the University of Florida, and my major is political science,” they beamed. “Then, after college, I will be off to law school and, God willing, to be a judge one day.”

Reflecting on Parker’s journey, Savage offered insights into Parker’s character and determination. “She asked a lot of questions,” Savage said. “But they were always good questions, and it showed how she made an effort to learn the material. I know, it was hard for her, but she never gave up, and that is all one can ask for from a person.” Remembering Parker’s personality, Savage emphasized their kindness and resilience.

“Payton is just so sweet and kind and thoughtful,” she said. “She just stayed positive, kept working through everything. I love her enormously.” 

Looking ahead to transition to the next episode in life, Parker’s journey is, indeed, an epitome of determination, hard work, and resilience. Their story inspires not only their fellow classmates, but also younger students who look up to them as a role model.

View Comments (2)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!