The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo girls wrestling team makes history by winning the Seminole Athletic Conference

Maddy Baczek
Hailey Mitchel was riding tough on top, and is trying to throw in half nelson.

The Seminole Athletic Conference is a Individual Based Tournament that includes all the schools in Seminole county. The teams include Hagerty, Winter Springs, Lake Mary, Lake Brantley, Lyman, Lake Howell, Seminole, and Oviedo highschool. This tournament includes jv and varsity boys, and girls varsity. Jv boys competed on friday, and varsity boys and girls competed saturday.

The boys jv team consisted of 106 freshman Jackson Cooper, 113 sophomore Joseph Speer, 120 sophomore Gunner Essary, 126 sophomore Lois Melendez, 132 freshman James Lyons, 144 sophomores Asher Williamson and Brandon Bonin, 150 freshman Mason Graves, and sophomore Noah Mulock, 165 sophomore Adam Mohaisen and junior Gavin Towers, 190 freshman Victor Charcap and junior Isaiah Stringer, 215 junior Logan Henry and freshman Mason Desoto, and at 285 is junior Chrstian Lopez. Oviedo had many individual placers at the tournament. Three wrestlers got 1st place, Asher Williamson, Luis Melendez, and Isaiah Stringer. 3 wrestlers got second place, Brandon Bonin, Jackson Cooper, and Manny Charcap, and 2 wrestlers placed third, James Lyons and Logan Henry. With these results the jv team placed 5th at the SAC tournament this year.

The following day was the Varsity boys and girls. This tournament is a great tournament because Oviedo goes against a lot of teams that they will compete against at districts. Competing for the boys varsity team was freshman Jimmy Godwin at 106, junior Joshua Sabbia at 113, senior Conner Rodriguez at 120, sophomore Douglas Dowda at 126, junior Caden Martz at 144, sophomore Koen Falk at 150, senior Clayton Mitchell at 157, senior Lukas Crawley at 165, senior Mathew Buhl at 175, senior Nick Rynearson at 190, junior Joey Gioia at 215, and junior Yosef Mohaisen at heavyweight. The team also had many placers with Joey Gioia and Joshua Sabbia getting 1st. This made Joshua Sabbia a back to back SAC winner for Oviedo. Lukas Crawley took 2nd, Clayton Mitchell and Yosef Mohaisen took 3rd, and Jimmy Godwin and Dougie Dowda took 4th. The varsity boys ended up taking 5th as a team.

The girls varsity team had huge success at this year’s SAC tournament with all of them placing in the top two.Junior Grace Doyle, junior Delaney Graves, and freshman Haylee Richards and Mia Pina all placed 1st. 2nd placers were freshman Jayden Brouse, sophomore Oakley True, and sophomore Hailey Mitchell. With all their girls placing this allowed them to get 1st as a team in the SAC tournament. This has made Oviedo highschool wrestling history with having the first girls team to win the whole tournament. 

The girls are now headed into the postseason, which is the most important time of the season. This is when everyone tries their hardest to win. The girls took this success into districts and had almost all the girls going to regions on 2/17. The girl team now hopes to get some girls to place in the region so that they can move on to states.

View Comments (3)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!