The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Leadership and legacy: softball has seven collegiate commits

Seven seniors commit to NCAA Division I, Division II, NJCAA, and NAIA programs, including Clemson and Florida A&M
Isabella Schneider
From lion to tiger: Varsity softball player Riley Fennell looks out onto the softball field. Fennell committed to Clemson University on November 8 to play NCAA Division I softball.

After ending the 2022-2023 season with a 15-11 record, the Oviedo Lions Varsity Softball team had positive expectations moving into the 2023-2024 season. 

This was mainly because the program has seven seniors committed to play softball at the collegiate level: Jamison Townsend to Florida A&M University, Riley Fennell to Clemson University, Kennedy Gibson to Florence Darlington Technical College, Charlotte Jenks to Saint Leo University, Morgan Jones to University of West Alabama, Sophia Vanderkooy to Webber International University, and Madison Segers to East Georgia State College.  

Although the Lions suffered the loss of 4-year Varsity starter and Florida State University commit, Anglee Bruno, who graduated out of the program after last season, the Lions have many star returners this year. This included Fennell, who held the highest returning average at .395 and the highest on base percentage at .484. Fennell also led the Lions in home runs in the 2023 season, making her an anticipated returning hitter on the roster. In October 2023, Fennell committed to Clemson, a NCAA Division I program, to continue her softball career. 

“I definitely feel like this year I took on more of a leadership role becoming a captain for this team,” said Fennel. “Being chosen by the team to be a captain made me realize that I need to step up and become someone for the younger girls to look up to”. 

Another returning hitter is senior Jamison Townsend, who has the second highest returning average on the team and is currently committed to a NCAA Division I program at Florida A&M. 

“Florida A&M really jumped out to me because of their coaching and leadership,” said Townsend. “I also have a lot of friends going [to the school] so it will be a lot of fun.”

The two returning hitters have started the season a bit cold, Townsend with a .279 average, while Fennell had seen her average drop from .395 to .348. The slow starts had been a major contribution to the Lions 7-9 start to the season, which began on a 3-game losing streak. 

Kennedy Gibson is one of the top returning pitchers for the Lions. The senior held a 4.89 ERA in the 2023 season, while also finishing the season with a 5-2 record, placing her third on the team in win percentage. Gibson plans to extend her career at Florence Darlington Technical College, a member of the NJCAA. 

“Oviedo has helped me these past four years  with teamwork. Taking friendships from the classroom to playing as one unit on the field has definitely grown a different side of the game for me”.

With so many Lions Varsity Softball players committed to play at the collegiate level in recent years, the program is projected to have a bright future.

At bat: Varsity softball player Jamison Townsend waits by the plate to bat against Lake Mary High School on March 7. Townsend contributed to the 9-0 Lions win with 1 run batted out of 4 plate appearances. (Monica Kamel)
View Comments (1)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!