The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Journeying back to the roots

OHS Language students and staff travel to Europe over Spring Break
Adelaida Ehinger
The OHS students who went on the Spanish trip smile under an ornamental wing of the cathedral in Burgos. They enjoy being able to see things that have no equal stateside during their spring break trip. “It was the first time for all of them to be out of the country.” L-R: Analisse Oliver, Makenzie Murray, Jeniya Ogelsby, and Peyton Wright, the OHS students who went on the Spanish trip together.

Europe, the staple of what luxury is to the ears of the average American. Said ears poke out, especially when the names of France and Spain come into the mix of country conversations. The usual mind would think of their histories, food, architecture, language, and all other manner of applicable foreign fantasies. Validated were those fantasies when they could be experienced first- and secondhand by the staff and students of Central Florida high schools.

Corresponding language classes went to both of these nations when an opportunity arose over this year’s Spring Break, just a number of weeks ago. For Spain, it started in Madrid, then to Segovia, then they headed up north and went to Burgos, then Bilbao, San Sebastian, Pamplona, and finished in Barcelona. For the French folks, they stayed entirely in and around the south, with everyday trips to neighboring cities along the Mediterranean coast. To cities like Monaco, Cannes, and others. The trips are meant as an educational way for students to engage in the culture, language, and traditions of the places that their studied languages are indigenous to.

Adelaida Ehinger, who teaches all ranges of Spanish at Oviedo High School, took over as teacher-leader for Jakie Riley, who teaches the same, and usually chaperoned the trip. Ehinger looked over the group of our school’s students during this week-long excursion. 

It was a really good time,” Ehinger said. “It was the first time for all of [the students that went]. They were a little bit nervous at first, because you are going with adults that are not your parents. In the end, they said they really enjoyed it.” 

Ehinger actually noticed a very positive change in the demeanour of the five OHS students. 

“I could see how they gained a little bit of confidence with each passing day, because they would get a bit of discovery time on their own,” Ehinger said.

What also likely helped the students get more engaged in their experiences was how intriguing the places they visited were.

“Toledo has a great historical background,” Ehinger said. “You had Christians, Muslims, and Jewish people living there all at once at one point in time together. So it was nice to see that history and how they coexisted for quite a long time.”

In addition to Toledo, cities like Bilbao, San Sebastian, and Burgos had roles with the battles and politics of the Spanish Civil War, and Pamplona has the history of the Annual Bull Run. Giving students a way to experience these gorgeous and exotic lands, and bask in their history is a great opportunity for the school to provide, in Ehinger’s opinion, and the students shall never likely forget it.

One of these students who cherished the memory is OHS senior Jeniya Oglesby. Jeniya was one of Oviedo High School’s representatives during the trip. “I was a little nervous about it,” Jeniya said. “I think, in total, it was like a nine hour flight to get there… Yeah [I really enjoyed it, and the school is] planning another trip.” 

As Ehinger said, the students who came along were quite nervous, but, according to Oglesby, they did really enjoy their time there, with interesting things being seen by all students involved. 

“Spain was pretty cool, [such as] seeing where the Run of the Bulls happened,” Oglesby said. “We saw the track where everybody went, and then it showed a little news, this pop-up shop where you can see videos of the run in the wall.” 

Jeniya enjoyed the experience overall, and recommended it, saying “I would do it again.”

As previously mentioned, Spain was not the only foreign nation graced with the presence of young American academics. France also saw some activity from our young fellows from the states here. Though not present, Victoria Huffman, one of the French instructors here at Oviedo, shared in the festivities of the trip to France over the Spring Break.

“They went with the teacher from Hagerty,” Huffman said. “It was a way for the students to actually use French rather than just go and see sights.” 

The way the trip worked was this: once the students arrived, they would be able to live with a host family in the area of France they stuck to. They would take language classes every morning, see the cities, and engage in the culture. 

It was done this way so that, in the words of Huffman, “So they were immersed more so in the culture and the language versus just staying at a hotel.” 

So really, the large point of the trip was to allow students to be personally engaged in the language more directly. Huffman believes the language of French, and actually getting to experience it, is an extraordinary thing. 

“It goes really far back,” Huffman said. “It goes all the way back to the Gauls and how their language in their culture has developed over thousands of years. And then it’s just so deep rooted and like their customs and what they do.”

Both the trip to Spain and the one to France will be something highly educational for students to experience. One does not just learn the language, as that is redundant if they have no chance for a practical application of it. That is what these holidays have done, and will do for every student who chooses to go on them.

View Comments (4)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!