Lady Lions Soccer starts season with undefeated streak

Audrey Strembicki

Sophomore midfielder Peyton White gets ready to pass the ball up the field to sophomore forward Jada Narcisse.

After beginning with an 8-0 undefeated streak, the Lady Lions soccer team has already made their impact on the new season. This may come as a surprise considering that the team lost several graduating seniors last season, including goalkeeper Amanda Waggoner, who currently plays soccer at the next level for Belmont University. 

Despite the team’s disadvantages, they managed to pull through and start the season off with success. New players who made the cut for the varsity team and new transfers this year are also getting a chance to prove themselves as competent contributors to the team effort. 

“I feel good that we’ve won every game,” said sophomore defender and midfielder Peyton White. “We’ve sent almost all the teams home early and a lot of the teams are really good.”

Ending games early due to mercy rules is not an unfamiliar occurrence for Oviedo. Last season alone, the team sent Lake Howell, University (Orange City), and Winter Springs High School all home early with a final Lions victory of 8-0. Only halfway into the 2022-2023 season, the team has done the same to Lake Buena Vista, Deland, and Winter Springs High Schools with more final 8-0 scores.

Although some teams next up in the Lady Lions’ schedule may threaten their 8-game streak, the team has prepared to play their best and bounce back even better. The undeniable bond between the players on the field is evident in the playing style of the team through their emphasis on teamwork.

“The team’s vibe is my favorite part of the season so far,” said senior goalkeeper Mia Meadows. “We’ve played some of our hardest teams already and we’re going to try to get a little bit better every single game.”

Staying consistent will be a key factor for qualifying to play in the playoffs this season. The team entered the postseason last year with a record of 10-3-2, so winning at least two out of their next seven games will earn them a spot this year. 

“We’re going to practice hard and play hard,” said senior midfielder Amanda Melnick. “I think we can make it to states and win.”