The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Basketball Continues Hot Start

Last week the Oviedo Lions basketball program kept up their incredible start to the season, completing the sweep of cross-town rival Hagerty High with a convincing 27 point win at home giving the Lions an 18-3 record with just four games left on the schedule.

This season marks the first time the Lions have swept the Huskies since 2020, checking off another box on 1st year head coach Ian Young’s impressive resume which includes the teams highest recorded ranking by maxpreps in school history at 9th in the state.

Two of the Lions three losses have come to thirteenth ranked Edgewater and twelfth ranked Orlando Christian Prep. Currently the Lions rank fifth in their class making them real contenders to bring home the programs BLANK state championship. 

Standout players this season have been Senior returners Hunter Haverkamp and Alex Hunter, both averaging double figures while Haverkamp also adds 5 assists a game which is good enough for 4th in the entire classification. Two other standouts have been transfer additions Cam Bryant and Caleb Pennyfeather. Bryant leads the Lions in scoring averaging 13.3 points per game while the 6’9 Pennyfeather lets his presence be known on the defensive side of the ball averaging 3.3 blocks per game ranking him first in the district and third in the class. Pennyfeather also leads the Lions in rebounds averaging 8.6 per game. 

The Lions last four games include two separate matchups against Seminole high school who hold a record of 17-3 and a ranking just one spot of the Lions current ranking at 37. Expectations are high for Young and the Lions who hope to deliver a successful playoff run to a recently starved program.