The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Girls flag football makes its debut at Oviedo High School

The new sport gives 20 girls a chance to be a part of the inaugural team and compete for the Lions
Team+environment%3A++A+group+of+girls+that+showed+up+to+day+2+of+flag+football+conditioning+break+down+their+%E2%80%9CLions+on+3%E2%80%9D+cheer.+Five+days+of+conditioning+took+place+before+the+two+days+of+official+tryouts+on+January+29+and+30+for+the+team.+During+those+five+days%2C+the+participating+girls+were+trained+in+speed%2C+agility%2C+and+change+of+direction+drills.+
Grace Pearl
Team environment: A group of girls that showed up to day 2 of flag football conditioning break down their “Lions on 3” cheer. Five days of conditioning took place before the two days of official tryouts on January 29 and 30 for the team. During those five days, the participating girls were trained in speed, agility, and change of direction drills.

In May 2023, Oviedo High School confirmed that they would have a girls flag football team for the spring season of 2024. And with the start of this new school year, Oviedo’s female athletes now have a chance to compete for a spot on the team, and to make history at their school.

To prepare for tryouts, Coach Odierno, the head coach of the boys varsity football and girls flag football teams, held conditioning two to three days a week for two weeks. This gave players an opportunity to get back into shape if they were off-season athletes and meet with some of their possible future teammates.

Some of Oviedo’s Powderpuff participants are attending conditioning and tryouts. One of them is junior Eva Decesare, who has been preparing for this season and tryouts.

“I feel that I can bring my athletic ability and my leadership skills to the team,” said Decesare.

Another Powderpuff player is Ansley Devos, who played for the junior team with Decesare. Devos played as the team’s quarterback, leading them to their win against the seniors.

“I think it’d be a good thing for girls at the school, because it’s a new sport that people can get into if they want to,” said Devos.

Coach Odierno also touched on the newness of the sport for Oviedo, as he was one of the driving forces behind bringing the sport to the school.

“It’s something we’ve been working on for the last three years,” said Odierno. “ Dr. Daniel and the administration have been 100% behind it from day one.”

After years of waiting, Oviedo’s administration and coaches will get to see the girls compete in flag football for the first time. Coach Odierno has a unique opportunity to create a reputation for Oviedo’s flag football program for years to come.

“I’m looking forward to starting a program from scratch and building it from the ground up,” said Odierno.

With conditioning, being involved in other sports, and Coach O’s plans for the season, these girls should be ready to represent Oviedo this season. Devos is a multi-sport athlete and feels that this will help her be prepared for the season.

“I think softball makes me very athletic,” said Devos. “The running part of softball can tie in to football- you need to be fast to play football.”

Coach Odierno also has plans to get this year’s team ready to play.

“Both Coach Roberts and I have coached flag [football] before…we know the game and what we are looking for,” said Odierno. “Schematically, we will have a progression for the installation and practice plan which will provide for hundreds of reps to be ready. The last part is getting the best athletes in the school out for tryouts.”

With dozens of girls attending the initial interest meeting and dozens also showing up for conditioning, there is no doubt that Coach Odierno will have many options to choose from and difficult decisions to make during tryout week.

The coaches and players are ready for the season, and prospective players are ready for the start of this new sport and the opportunities it brings to Oviedo High School.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!