The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

The Writer’s Strike is a much needed reckoning

Snow Pastermack

This should have happened decades ago. Back in May of this year, members of numerous writing organizations went on strike, which delayed many upcoming films, shows, and games. It is not the fault of the writers, however. Instead, it is the greedy film corporations responsible for the pushback of feature films this year— all because they are simply unwilling to give proper pay to the people who make their business what it is.

On May 2, the Writers Guild of America went on strike after numerous disputes with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which then spiraled into a series of events leading to the fate of films and opportunities within the medium. The writers’ strike was soon followed by numerous film organizations, such as the Screen Actors Guild, who supported writers and their protests. Now, many famous writers, actors, and movie crews have put their work on hold until the strikes conclude.

One of the early signs of this was the low pay that the writers received. Many large production studios, such as Netflix, Amazon, Warner Bros, and Apple, have refused to pay their screenwriters a fair amount, with some only making about $31,000 a year. Considering the fact writers are responsible for one of the most important aspects of the filmmaking process, this is a pitiful salary

The WGA also demanded better working conditions and more benefits, such as long-term payments, opportunities, and assurance that AI writing software would not replace their jobs. Their protests resulted in more talks and negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP, which, unfortunately, led nowhere. 

All the aforementioned events, disputes, and talks led to what happened on May 1, when the writers made the final decision to go on strike, which is one of the smartest things they could have done. Because they did this, they have inspired so many people to join their cause and rally to their side. 

Celebrities like Jack Black, Bill Maher, Stephen Colbert, Paul Dano, and Seth Rogan have joined in protest with these writers, with some even delaying their shows and future projects. That said, it is a beautiful thing to see people strive to earn what they deserve, and this is a nationally highlighted example of just that. Unless you suffer from a cold heart, chances are you can at least see where the writers are coming from. This movement is a noble thing to follow, and it will show any doubters, or those who are clogs in the cogs of progress, that change is afoot!

But unfortunately, good causes can have their drawbacks. Each American Revolution leads to a French Revolution, and while the effect is far less extreme in this case, it is one that disappointed a lot of people. Films such as “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom,” “Dune: Part Two,” “Spiderman: Beyond The Spider-Verse,” and many more are being pushed back and delayed.

But beyond all the inconveniences that it may make for us film-enjoyers, we must understand and appreciate the cause and desired effect of this event. At least that is what these words attempted to make you sympathize with. May we hope that these writers and actors have their jobs improved in the near future.