Welcome to OHS, Coach Brooks

Coach+Brooks+looks+on+in+the+second+football+game+in+the+season.+

Oviedo Photography

Coach Brooks looks on in the second football game in the season.

This story was originally published in the first edition of The Lion’s Tale (October 7th, 2021).

Oviedo High School welcomed a lot of new teachers and administrators to campus this 2021-2022 school year. One being, Coach Brooks, who is the assistant football coach and ISS facilitator, here at OHS. Although he is new to campus this year, Brooks has been working with in school suspension and all around troubled students for 17 years.

Regardless of being brand new to OHS, he is widely admired by many students for his outgoing and humorous personality. He creates amazing bonds with every student he gets the chance to work with. Brooks sees his position as more than just a job, but an opportunity to help a student that may be in a rough situation or just needs help.

“Some of the kids I handle need a little bit of guidance and they need someone who will actually listen to them and give them good advice, and I’m here to do that.” said Coach Brooks.

The connection between student and teacher is the most important part of learning. When students feel like they can trust their teachers, they are more likely to be open to change and improvement, having the reassurance that it is what is best for them. This is specifically important for Coach Brooks because the students he is working with are typically in need of guidance, which comes with trust and reliability.

Coach Brooks is the type of person to put others before himself, and fix an issue that needs fixing. Most people admire him for his fun side, but appreciate the stricter side of him, when he steps in to correct foul behavior or situations.

“If I see something that’s not right, I’m going to say something, put my foot down, and get it done the right way.” said Brooks.

Although Brooks has a stern side to him, he only acts harshly in situations where it is needed. He always has the best intentions for everyone involved, and his only goal is to help students out of situations that they shouldn’t be in.

Brooks has worked with countless students and situations at a variety of different schools, but the connections and experiences he has had at OHS so far have created an environment where he feels welcomed and influential.

“I feel like I was welcomed with open arms here, it’s a great school, a great community, the students are awesome, they really are.” said Coach Brooks.

Upon working in this field for 17 years, Brooks feels like his experience and overall welcome into Oviedo High School has been such an amazing experience that is really like no other.