The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Santa Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser draws the community closer

Monica+Kamel+and+Loren+Blumenfeld+work+on+posters+while+dressed+as+reindeer.+
Grace Pearl
Monica Kamel and Loren Blumenfeld work on posters while dressed as reindeer.

Santa Claus (or Jeff Davidson) waves to the camera as he waits for visitors. (Grace Pearl)

For the second year in a row, the Oviedo High School journalism program, including Yearbook, Newspaper, and WROR-TV, hosted an all-you-can eat pancake breakfast for the holidays on Saturday, December 9 in the Commons. Special guest of honor: none other than Santa Claus himself.

For Santa Claus, or Jeff Davidson (as the non-believers know him), this year was one of many.

“I’ve been doing Santa for probably 27 years,” said Davidson. “I’ve been the first Santa for maybe 300, 400 kids.”

Being Santa Claus is a jolly profession, and Davidson is no exception.

“My favorite part is the interactions with all the kids and the adults,” said Davidson. “They lose their minds when they see Santa. They’ll say they don’t believe, but I guarantee that they’ll come over and sit with me.”

In addition to Santa, there were numerous volunteers and helpers at the breakfast, including Monica Kamel, junior. Kamel immediately got into the Christmas spirit.

“I was very excited, because I got to wear a reindeer onesie,” said Kamel. 

Kamel and the three other Editors-in-Chief of the Oviedian Yearbook matched in Rudolph onesies, much to the excitement of kids and parents. 

“Getting to be in the pictures with the kids was my favorite,” said Kamel. “It was really sweet and nice, and now I’m in a bunch of random people’s Christmas photos.”

As for the main audience of the breakfast, 9-year-old Skyler McMiller enjoyed the festivities and its various activities. 

“I’ve had fun doing some arts and crafts,” said McMiller, “and I like that we’re allowed to do seconds.”

Families also rejoiced in spending time together and supporting Oviedo High School. They loved witnessing the school in person, along with all the festive holiday decorations strung around the Commons. 

“We get to take our kids out and see the high school. You have a beautiful high school,” Charles Padera said.

Not to mention, the experience was incredibly memorable for Padera and his family. 

“I think this will be the start of a family tradition,” he said.

Many other Oviedo High School students dropped by, including senior Akashi Mitsumori, who said, “It was a good investment, definitely worth the ten dollars.”

Others also point out the dedication of the volunteers and quality of the overall experience. 

Junior Garrett Kammeraad said, “The service has been amazing, every time we need anything, someone is on top of it.”

Yearbook and WROR-TV staff pose for the camera. (Grace Pearl)

Charles Padera agrees, finding the service to be the highlight of the event.

“This is better than most restaurants when you go to here in Oviedo and Winter Springs, because you are very attentive and there are multiple people asking what you need,” he mentioned.

For many, Santa’s Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser has been a big hit, and as Monica Kamel, or Rudolph, said best, “It’s the season of giving!