The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Diversely talented students fill Oviedo High school

Ray Kar exemplifies the talent that fills Oviedo’s halls
Senior+Ray+Kar+conducts+at+Oviedo+High+Schools+winter+showcase.+This+showcase+demonstrates+the+talent+of+Oviedos+art+departments+through+a+series+of+performances.+Kar+conducted+multiple+pieces+and+performed+in+even+more.+
Senior Ray Kar conducts at Oviedo High School’s winter showcase. This showcase demonstrates the talent of Oviedo’s art departments through a series of performances. Kar conducted multiple pieces and performed in even more.

” I’ve been playing music since I was four when I picked up the violin… “

— Ray Kar

Oviedo High School is known for excellence in not only athletics and academics but also its band program and the talent that can be found there. An example of a talented student in this program is Oviedo’s senior Ray Kar.
As Tri-M President (a musical honors society), section leader, conductor, arranger, Student Band Booster president, and player of six musical instruments, the talent is clearly there for Kar. And according to Kar, music has been an important part of him for almost his whole life.
“I’ve been playing music since I was 4 when I picked up the violin, so since 2010,” said Kar. So Kar has an impressive 14 years of background when it comes to music. And this clearly shows. As a co-section leader, Kar gets to share his musical knowledge with others in the band. And according to Oviedo’s band director, Kar was the right person for the job.
“A lot of people do look up to Ray because he is respectful and he makes good relationships with his peers,” said Mr. Chowning.
Kar is not only a talented musician, but also a great leader and example to the people around him. He showcases his ability as a musician and a person daily.
“He is very straightforward and driven and disciplined,” said Mr. Chowning. “I like his respectfulness and just overall demeanor.”
His leadership, as well as his musical talent, is an important part of Oviedo’s band. Kar does his part to help in most of the band activities and shows. For example, the Winter Showcase is a big event for Oviedo’s art department. Involving Chorus, Dance, and Band, this show is packed with many talented acts.
Many people helped behind the scenes to keep the show running, including Kar, who was essential for this show.
“I did quite a few things during Showcase,” said Kar. “Some of my responsibilities were the overseeing of house crew, keeping tabs on stage crew, organizing how to best execute acts and the logistics behind them, as well as spending late nights at school building the blue man group set with Mr. Chowning”
Kar also helped with the musical side as well as the logistics. He helped conduct a few groups and helped during the rehearsal of these groups.
If one thing is clear for Kar, music is an important part of his life that he doesn’t want to let go of yet.
“I hope to do a minor in music,” said Kar. “I want to continue to use it in a way that invokes the same passion for music in others, as music did with me.”

View Comments (4)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!