Plea from a senior: At least keep graduation

WEB EXCLUSIVE 

The fact that several senior privileges were cancelled or postponed I don’t mind much. The only thing I care about having cancelled is graduation.

As a senior, for the last 12 years of my academic life, I have been striving to graduate and move on to college. However, I do not care much for prom or Grad Bash. Since I had gone to prom last year, and I had no friends who wanted to go to Grad Bash with me, since they couldn’t afford it or just didn’t want to, I decided not to go. So I don’t really mind all that much personally.

But, I do agree with the some students that cancelling these events ruins the “high school experience” for many individuals who have been waiting for this for a very long time, especially graduation. Every student seems to share the same dream of walking the stage. It is something that high schools play up and make one of the most important moments, and that is typically because it is.

Unfortunately, other events made for seniors will not be fulfilled either. Things like senior concerts, something many students look forward to, now won’t happen. But the quintessential experience for all of us, no matter what club or class you are in, is graduation.

The most pressing issue amongst seniors that I have observed from my friends, is the fact that graduation may not happen. There have been one or two petitions for graduation going around throughout my friend groups, and I signed one of them.

I believe even if I don’t personally care the most for graduation, I should fight to get other people’s graduation for them at the very least. I believe that it is only right to fight for graduation, because people have been working hard, as have I. Students deserve to have their hard work acknowledged, and we need to work together to make sure that some sort of ceremony for students is made possible.