Girls’ volleyball falls to top-ranked Bishop Moore despite strong showing

Nevada Cullen

Freshmen Audrey Douglas and Mikaela Schultz observe their opponent before the match on Sept. 14 at the RWL gymnasium. The Lions lost the match.

WEB EXCLUSIVE

The top-ranked Bishop Moore Hornets girls’ varsity volleyball team was as stingy as ever, taking on the Oviedo Lions for the Bright House Sports Network game of the week. Their blockers were a brick wall, repelling any attempt for a kill that Oviedo hitters made.

After the Hornets took the first set 25-21, the Lions worked to break down their wall piece by piece. Led by sophomore Savnnah Vach’s six kills, the Lions took the second set 25-22.

Sophomore Rileigh Powers and freshmen Audrey Douglas and Rebekah Rath also contributed to the second set win, with two kills apiece.

Even with the momentum and the energy from Oviedo’s packed student section, the Lions could not overcome Florida’s best team. After a Rath kill to start off the third set, Bishop Moore turned it around and won the final two sets 25-19 and 25-21.

Despite the loss, Rath’s seven kills in the last two sets showed that the team would not lay down. Coach Jen Darty did her best to keep her team competitive during the long, draining match.

Some players, especially the hitters, experienced difficulty against Bishop Moore’s solid defense. When they began to adjust to their opponent, it was too late.

Since the loss, the Lions have taken out their rage on Timber Creek, finishing them in three sets by the score of 25-9, 25-15, 25-18. They look to find their ninth win tonight at University.