The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Top 10: Caden Brock begins the journey to college as a top ten senior

The student speaks of dreams, advice, and words from those who helped achieve their dreams
Logan Hayes
Caden poses in confident demeanour with an assured countenance. Caden is one of the top ten seniors this year, a glorious achievement that is only given to the highest performing students in each graduating class. “I like challenging myself. You know, I don’t like being in a class where I already know the material. Well, I know what’s going to happen because it’s just boring and stuff. So I always try to be taking something at my level or even beyond it.”

The dust is nearly settled, and the tomes are nearly filled now that the 2023-2024 school year winds down to its final weeks. Summer shall soon arrive, and Oviedo High School’s graduating seniors shall soon prepare for freshman year of college. Some of the OHS students best prepared for college are the ones who would devote themselves to the appreciation and betterment of their own knowledge. Caden Brock is no better example of this. Brock made the list at the shock and disbelief of their own work, but very much appreciated the placement.

“It feels crazy that I made it. I didn’t feel like I was incredibly smart, and it came as a shock to me,” Brock said.

Brock was surprised, because they took harder classes for the fun of it. There was an intent to do well, of course, but Brock viewed academia as more of something that should be enjoyed rather than something that should be made difficult and dreaded. Brock got the most out of academics when it came to language and mathematics, so naturally those are their fields of focus for college. 

“I plan on getting a degree in Computer Engineering, maybe,” Brock said. “I’m really into robotics, artificial intelligence, and programming.” 

Brock had a rather interesting reason for why this was something of interest. 

“I just liked the idea of automating a process that humans have been doing and find a way to bring life to machines,” Brock said.

Brock believes AP Physics to be on the list of the greatest classes one could take at Oviedo High School. The teacher for the second part of that class, Christopher Capp, was pleased Brock appreciated his teaching. 

“You would never really know how good you are doing as a teacher until they come forward and they say something to you like that…” Capp said. “I try to come up with bizarre names of things and bizarre situations, and also things that can tie into the real world.”

Kathryn Kammeraad, the teacher of AP English Language, was also listed as one of Brock’s most influential, and Kammeraad was overjoyed that her teachings meant that much. 

“I mean, we teachers are in this profession, obviously, because we love it,” Kammeraad said. “It makes me want to go forward and keep helping others…I don’t think as a teacher that I’m the centre of attention, they are. I’m just there to guide you.”

Kammeraad and Capp are both excited to see where in which direction Brock shall go once their high school career is concluded, and they give naught but their best wishes. 

I just wish for him the most happy and exciting life,” Kammeraad said. “I hope he can get all of the successes that he can have.”

Capp also shares Kammeraad’s hopes for Brock, and gives some well meaning advice. 

“Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, because you learn most when you make mistakes, as long as they are not huge mistakes!” Capp said.

Brock gives the best advice anyone can to any incoming, or already enrolled members of Oviedo High school, noting appreciation for all who show devotion in their studies. 

“Have an actual deep understanding of the knowledge at hand,” Brock says. “If you only ever memorize stuff, it will be harder for you to succeed…make use of the time that you have in high school.” 

Brock will miss all that came in high school, but indeed looks forward to the future. The golden horizon shines brightest for those who wish to travel there the most!