The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Brett Simonelli On The Death Of Jimmy Buffett

Cooper Garvey
Brett Simonelli feeling sad over Jimmy Buffett’s passing.

For whom the bell tolls? It tolls for Jimmy, as the world heard the cacophonic ringing of these bells on September 1st, 2023, they subsequently woke up in a state of mourning upon learning the dreaded news. That news being that tropical music icon Jimmy Buffett has passed away.

The effects of this tragedy were felt especially here in Florida, the state which is arguably more tropical than any other in the nation. In this state, the figure of Jimmy Buffet is revered as one of the staples of troprock. Most beaches can have the sound of Jimmy Buffett playing on a bluetooth speaker somewhere.

As Oviedo High School is in Florida, its population has been affected by this loss. One piece of that population is Brett Simonelli, who teaches social studies in building 8, and is himself a parrothead. He was introduced to the world of Buffett at a young age.”My mom introduced me to Jimmy Buffett, I think listening to him when I was a kid going to school.” “The first song I remember hearing was ‘Cheeseburger in Paradise’”. When asked what their favorite song was, Simonelli replied with the duet between Jimmy and Alan Jackson, known as “It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere”.

“While I was in High School, that song came out and it was real popular. It was something that me and my friends always listened to if we wanted everyone on the boat”

Simonelli also thinks that we have definitely lost something that made the world better.” It’s definitely a lesser place without him, because he was definitely one of those people that brought that feeling of relaxation and that nothing’s too big, everything can be solved–just you know, relax”

“It was definitely a better world with him, that’s all I know”.

However, for both Brett Simonelli and the world, there is hope. There is one last Jimmy Buffett studio album coming to the world on November 3rd of this year, titled “Equal Strain on all parts”. Simonelli felt good hearing about that, saying “I will be interested to listen to it, and I think I will definitely make sure I buy it just because, you know, missing piece to the boatman”.

This new album will likely showcase more of Buffet’s signature Troprock style, one that Simonelli admires.” You know, I’m a rock and roll kind of guy, but everybody likes to relax now and then; and his music brought that relaxation feeling.” That specific sound that Jimmy Buffett is known for, is one of the most appealing things about his music.” You know you’re able to sit down, relax. Listen to some good music, have good thoughts, good tunes, you know? It was unique.”

With decades worth of music, Jimmy Buffett has left himself a beautiful legacy upon the world, and Brett Simonelli whole-heartedly thinks this.” I don’t think Jimmy Buffett’s music will ever die. His death will be surpassed by his legacy, which will never go away. The fact that he was so popular even way back when and even to me as my generation, his legacy will never be unwavering.” The message and life of Jimmy Buffett is something time cannot wither.” He was not only a good musician” Simonelli says,” but I would also say he was probably a really good person too. So all that usually overcomes death”.

Jimmy Buffett may have left the physical world, but make no doubt that he is likely eating cheeseburgers in paradise. Brett Simonelli and many others will keep the music of Bubba on their speakers, TV sets, or any other kind of sound system playing during the hot seasons for decades to come. Perhaps even centuries down the line, Jimmy Buffett will remain a staple of beachgoing and good times.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Oviedo Journalism
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oviedo High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting and printing costs. Thank you!