The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Drew Morgan wins Assistant Principal of the Year

This year many nominated administrators came down to see who was Seminole County’s administrator of the year. The award goes to assistant principal Drew Morgan. This is Morgan’s thirteenth year working at Oviedo High School. Morgan began his career at Lake Brantley High School as a social studies teacher, P.E. teacher, basketball and softball coach, and Assistant Athletic Director. Morgan was a dean in the early years working at Oviedo but then became the assistant principal.

Morgan’s strengths in building and running parts of Oviedo High School is what makes any administrator show the love and importance their role is for everybody’s education.

“I think one of my strengths is building a relationship and a positive rapport with all the stakeholders, and as I stated, I have been here for a long time,” Morgan said. “I like to say it is a longevity award more than anything else.” 

Morgan isn’t the only administrator who attended the award ceremony, as there was so much talent that was nominated this year. Being an administrator shouldn’t be overlooked as it can be a school’s strongest and most important job to manage everything under the school and the district. 

“I really don’t think I deserve this award more than anyone else who does this job,” Morgan said. “I love Oviedo High School and would do anything for it which I think comes through when people get to know me.”

Morgan’s friends were around to celebrate to show how deserving this award was. 

“My friends and colleagues from OHS showered me with confetti, as my name was called,” Morgan said. “ I received a nice plaque presented to me by District Assistant Superintendent, Mike Rice.”

There is no competition for who is the best administrator, as they are all playing for the same team, no matter what school they work at. They are a part of the same group taking every responsibility and always on top of managing schools. The education system wouldn’t be as strong as it is if it were not for the administrators commanding the system.