The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Football Fever Returns

Oviedo Football looks to start the season with a bang!
Isabella Schneider
Junior, Jaylen Lewis, takes a knee before the opening kick off against Deltona.

Oviedo Football has recently undergone a major rebuild led by Head Coach Greg Odinero. After a slow start in 2021, Odinero has the program in a great place heading into the 2023 season after finishing the 2022 season with a 10-2 record and a playoff win over the Wharton Wildcats.

The Lions lost multiple stars including long time running back DJ Scott, who recently committed to Division One program Kennesaw State. Scott rushed for 2820 yards in his career and will leave a massive hole in the Lions offense.

“Replacing DJ is going to be a team effort. One player can’t replace a back like DJ,” Odinero said. “Be on the lookout for senior running back Kevin Watson. He is going to have a breakout year.”

DJ isn’t the only star the Lions could struggle to replace, the Lions are also losing four-year starter left tackle, Ethan Manning, and multi-year starting linebackers Owen Proth and Noll Keller. Manning and Proth were both captains of the 2022 squad, so the 2023 squad will have big shoes to fill.

“Proth and Manning were two very important players and leaders. We started the leadership council to build this next class of leaders,” Odinero said. “It helps when we have both of their younger brothers on the team too.”

While the Lions are going to look very different next season, many key pieces from the 2022 playoff run still remain. 

Star junior quarterback, Jackson Latoir, returns with two of the best weapons in Seminole County: Marquet Williams and Cameron Keels. Williams led the Lions in receiving last season while Keels led the Lions with 19.5 yards per catch.

Latour threw for 2176 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior last season and is continuing to improve his game during the offseason.

The Lions are only returning two out of five starters from their dominant O-line, but the two returners are the biggest recruits in Oviedo history. 

Starting left tackle Tye Hylton recently committed to play college ball for powerhouse program Florida State University. Hylton is the highest scouted prospect in Oviedo history receiving 26 offers from national programs like Penn State and Texas A&M. 

Nathan Tveit is another top O-line prospect in the state of Florida and holds six offers as a rising junior, the biggest being Texas A&M.

Players aren’t the only thing the Lions have lost, beloved defensive coordinator Matthew Littleton recently took a head coaching job in Colorado. Littleton led one of the top defenses in Florida, only allowing 15 points per game in the 2022 season.

Littleton is replaced by former defensive backs Coach Daryl Blanford who has major shoes to fill.

“We wish Coach Littleton nothing but the best in Colorado. He was a great coach. Coach Blanford was our defensive back coach for the last two years. He is our new defensive coordinator,” Ordinero said. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience. I feel confident with the direction of our defense.”

Blanford proved he belonged in his first game as DC, coaching the Lions to a 42-0 shutout over the Deltona Wolves in the Lions preseason classic.

With summer workouts, fall camp, and the pre-season game complete, the Lions are ready to take on Lake Brantley in their week one opener.