The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Swinging Into the Preseason

Team captains reflect on the upcoming season.
Isabella Schneider
Before the start of their first game of the season. The Lions brought it in one last time.

As the Lions roared onto the court, the Oviedo Girls Varsity Volleyball team looked to make a statement against The First Academy (TFA) and Trinity Prep.

Last season, the team fell to the Viera Hawks late in the playoffs which loomed over the start of this campaign. 

“I’m very confident in our team chemistry and bond and think we have an opportunity to achieve such high goals,” said senior captain Paige Wisneski. “I think the whole team is confident that we have everything we need to accomplish our end goal for the season.”

Heading into the first game of the season, the girls were facing an experienced TFA team who finished 11-11 the previous year. The game proved to be a one-sided affair which saw the Lions sport a high-speed offensive and  defensive performance that shut down attempts by TFA to score points. The match ended in a decisive 3-0 sweep (25-11, 25-13, 25-11) for the Lions.

Following the dominant performance against TFA, the Lions looked to make a statement against the Trinity Prep Saints. The Saints had a 17-11 record last season and made the regional semifinals, making that match the first meaningful test for this Oviedo team. 

“We’re going to have to compete at a high level to beat them, but as long as we have fun and play our game, I think we’ll be able to pull out a win,” said junior Olivia Klimis.

The girls started off hot; going on several multi-point runs and took the lead from the opening serve. They took the first set 25-11. The second set would see more of the same high-powered offense and defensive performance from the entire team.

Sophomore Avery Stephens had multiple saves and some vital digs, which helped keep the Lions in the game throughout the second set.

“I felt very hyped up and loved being able to compete while being alongside a great group of girls,” said Stephens after the game. 

The girls finished the set with a score of 25-11. The Third set sealed the deal for the Saints of the Lions would go on to finish their dominating performance with a final scoreline of 25-14 to sweep the match in 3 sets.

Head Coach, Jennifer Darty said after the preseason matches, “our preseason games gave us an opportunity to compete against someone other than ourselves. It’s always nice to see how you compare to a different opponent, after playing ourselves in practice for the first two weeks of the season. I was proud of my girls and the way we played together and stayed consistent throughout.”

These two preseason matches would see a newly revitalized Oviedo Lions Varsity Girls Volleyball team make a strong showing to start off their season. The Lions first three games are next week including Monday, August 21st, against the Olympia Titans at home, followed by on Tuesday, August 22st, away at Lake Highland Prep, and then concluding their week by facing off against the Seminole, Seminoles at home.