Maya Cabal runs through track experience

Jared Fredell, Reporter

Maya Cabal is a track and field athlete known for her impressive speed and determination on the track, and has been making waves in the high school running scene.

Cabal’s love for running started at a young age. 

“I’ve been running since I was in kindergarten,” she said. “My mom used to run D1 in college for UCF and ever since she was little, so she put me in running camp when I was in elementary school.”

As she got older, Cabal’s passion for running only grew stronger. She started competing in local races and quickly began to make a name for herself as a talented, young runner. When she started high school, she joined the track and field team and quickly became one of their star athletes.

Cabal’s hard work has paid off in a big way. She’s won several medals and trophies in various races and competitions, and has even broken a few school records along the way.

“Sophomore year, I broke the 600 meter school record along with Ryleigh Holcomb,” Cabal said. “I’ve been first team all conference in cross country consecutively since freshman year, won MVP each year, and our girls team made it to states this year for cross country.”  

Despite her success, Maya Cabal remains humble and focused on the future.

“I’m really proud of what I’ve accomplished so far,” she said, “but I know there’s always room for improvement. I’m always trying to get faster and stronger, so I can keep pushing myself to be better.”

Cabal is always there to give positive words of encouragement on and off the track for her teammates.

“Before races when we are all stressed out or if we’ve had a bad race, she’s the first one to be there to comfort you,” said fellow runner and teammate, Hannah Adamsom. “Maya has endless energy that is infectious and talking to her will turn your whole day around. She is the glue that holds us together and she makes this difficult sport fun.”

Cabal’s parents have also been a major source of support for her throughout her running career.

“My parents are my biggest fans and I’m really appreciative of them,” she said. “My mom always gives me great advice and gives me motivational speeches before I run and my dad always makes sure I have everything I need and lets me know that he’s proud of me no matter the outcome. I wouldn’t be where I am today without them.”

Looking ahead, Cabal has big plans for her future in running. She hopes to continue competing in a division one or division two college but either way, will run throughout her whole life. But, no matter where her running takes her, Maya Cabal is committed to staying true to herself and never losing sight of what’s really important.

“At the end of the day, running is just a sport,” she said. “What really matters is the friendships and memories I’ve made along the way. I’m grateful for every opportunity I’ve had to compete and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.”