Ashe Herod is a rising star

Madeline Baczek

Sophomore Ashe Herod puts his hands in the air, highlighting his role in the performance of Clue.

Maddy Baczek, Reporter

Lights, camera, Ashe!

The rustle of the curtain, the whine of the mics, the flash of the spotlights, and the curtain pulls open. The audience waits with bated breath, Ashe Herod making his way to center stage.

Since the fall of 2021, Herod has been a dedicated member of Manestage Productions. He has been in four shows as of Feb. 2023, including Night of the Living Dead as Vince, Rock of Ages as Lonny, Clue as Wadsworth, and Frozen as Kristoff.

As Lonny Barnett in Rock of Ages, he wowed the crowd with his narration of the show, as well as his cheer-raising renditions of popular rock songs written into it, a rock-jukebox musical. 

Behind the scenes, though, even before the rehearsals and casting, come the auditions. Tim Carter’s, the drama teacher, audition process follows a pretty simple formula.

First, everyone writes their names and availability on pieces of paper. If it’s a musical, you sing a song for the musical. If it’s a straight play, you act out a script with a group of people.

After the cast lists come out, rehearsal. And after months of hard work, the show. After getting his costume and makeup on, he helps out with tech. The spotlight shines as Herod performs, soaking up the energy of the crowd.

“As an actor, I feel like I’ve definitely grown,” he said. “Because of how my characters have changed so much, I have to change my personality.”

Pullquote Photo

As an actor, I feel like I’ve definitely grown. Because of how my characters have changed so much, I have to change my personality.

— Ashe Herod

And while the character’s personality may change, the actor’s star quality has not. Post-show, the cast and crew will often go to a restaurant to celebrate together, especially if it’s closing night.

“Most of the time we go to a restaurant like Steak N’ Shake, or IHOP,” Herod said. “Closing nights can be sad, but not when you are assured in your future.”

Currently a sophomore, Herod has another two years before graduation. However, he already has plans.

“Through high school I want to continue theater,” he said, “and in my junior year, I want to work on getting an agent.”

As an actor, he has grown and changed – and it doesn’t stop there. The effect that the family of Oviedo High School actors has, has changed Ashe Herod as a person.

“Theater has helped me open up more,” Herod said. “At the beginning of the year, I was the quiet kid. As I was casted, I had to be more open for the shows.”

Pullquote Photo

Theater has helped me open up more. At the beginning of the year, I was the quiet kid. As I was casted, I had to be more open for the shows.

— Ashe Herod

Now, he is an actor, star, Lion, and anything but the quiet kid.