Hurricane Ian causes devastation

Ramsey Odom

Hurricane Ian causes the front of Oviedo High School to flood.

Madelyn Reno, Reporter

Hurricane Ian started off as a tropical storm that was not expected to do much damage. Then, as it inched closer and closer to Florida, it started developing into an official hurricane – estimated at being a category three. Some areas were dealing with winds at about 155mph and intense rain, while others were getting a light drizzle with barely 60mph winds. Places like Geneva, Deltona, Mims, Naples, Fort Myers, and Sanibel Island were hit the hardest.

Principal Dr. Trent Daniel has many thoughts about the hurricane’s impact on Oviedo.

“We have about 26 students in Mims, and they still can’t get in or out of their neighborhood because the main road leading to it is still flooded, while other students didn’t face any flooding at all,” Daniel said.

Jason Lausier is a Deltona resident whose house was greatly affected by Ian.

“Hearing that it was a category one by the time it would hit us really took my guard down. Ian was a lot worse than I thought it was going to be,” Lausier said. “Just the amount of damage it did to Fort Myers and the surrounding area, it totally leveled the place.”

Florida areas that got the worst of the storm are still attempting to recover. Some are still facing waters of around five feet on their roads, and others have been forced out of their homes because of the damages.

Renae Kopriva, a local Geneva resident, explained that she believes it’s going to be a long time before Geneva can return to normal.

“With where the flooding is now, I don’t think things are getting better for quite some time,” Kopriva said. “My guess is at least three to six months before the water is finally gone.”

Hurricane Ian was bigger, stronger, and caused more cause than anybody was expecting. But, it showed some people how they should prepare themselves for the next hurricane, and strengthened the resilience of many.