Youth athletic clinics offers opportunities for local kids

WEB EXCLUSIVE

This past weekend, Oviedo High School hosted two separate youth clinics on the John Courier Field for lacrosse and football. Kids from elementary school age to middle school had the opportunity to come and play with OHS girls lacrosse players on Sunday and on Saturday young football players were able to learn from Blake Bortles, a OHS alumni and currently the quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. 

“The kids really enjoyed the camp and meeting Blake. They ran a lot of drills and then towards the end got to ask Blake questions about his experience in the NFL,” said Payton Pagen, a sophomore who volunteered at the clinic. 

Many of these kids look up to Bortles and the experience of getting to learn from him was surreal and something those kids will cherish for a long time. They were not only being coached by him, they also got to ask him questions about his career and experiences. 

“It was really cool to watch them play with him,” said Pagen. 

On Sunday, OHS girls lacrosse hosted a youth clinic for elementary to middle school aged girls to come out and learn and play with some of the players. Not only is this a great opportunity for younger players in the community, it is also a fundraiser for the girls program. 

“The younger girls love learning and spending time with the high schoolers. They look up to them a lot.” said Coach Mckernan, the organizer of the camp. 

After passing and doing a few drills, the girls participated in a water balloon fight and even a pinata. Overall, the day was a success and many left with sunburns and smiles. 

“It was so cool to be able to teach some of the younger girls. I remember when I was their age at this exact camp and looking up to all the high school players,“ said Carly O’Donnell, one of the varsity captains. 

These clinics not only provided opportunities for the local community but also for OHS students, giving them opportunities to connect and teach younger kids who look up to them.