The student news site of Oviedo High School in Oviedo, FL

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Oviedo Journalism

Fans “WISH” this movie was never created

The WISH movie poster sets high expectations that were not met.
The Walt Disney Co.
The “WISH” movie poster sets high expectations that were not met.

More than 70 years ago, Jiminy Cricket sung about wishing upon a star. The newest Disney movie, “Wish,” intends to represent that idea. Even though the studio has a wonderful reputation for creating wonderful and enchanting fairy tales, there have been a few bumps in the trip to the stars.

With “Wish” coming from the creators of “The Lion King” and “Frozen” expectations were understandably high. But as the credits started to roll in, some viewers couldn’t help but wonder if this was a dream come true or just dull pixie dust.

The animated film takes place on a Mediterranean island ruled by a sorcerer named King Magnifico, voiced by Chris Pine, and his wife Queen Amaya, who is voiced by Angelique Babral, which traces back to several characters from classic Disney films. Magnifico is a well-liked ruler who shields his people from the sting of defeat, and on a citizen’s eighteenth birthday, they give Magnifico their greatest wish. This wish is symbolized by an orb and then the townsperson hopes he will fulfill it.

Asha, the 17 year old heroine voiced by Ariana DeBois, urges the guests to move, after she discovers Magnifico’s weakness when he blows a job interview. Because the wishers are made to forget what their greatest desires were, people whose aspirations are unfulfilled– such as her mother Natasha Rothwell and grandfather Victor Garber – are prevented from achieving their goals on their own. 

Disney movies frequently feature catchy soundtracks, but “Wish” doesn’t seem to have done well in this field. The musical arrangements are passable, but they don’t contain the memorable songs that have come to be associated with Disney’s animation masterpieces. The movie lost out on the chance to leave a lasting musical legacy because there was no memorable song or anthem that would have caught audiences’ attention.

For some, “Wish” may be seen as a flop. The film aims high in terms of visual spectacle, but it doesn’t seem to live up to the audiences’ expectations of emotional connection and storytelling magic. It seems for most that Disney’s “Wish” was just another twinkle in the sky, not the shining star people hoped for.