Student uses art to fight cancer

Photo by India Pantin

Junior Nadia Bloom hand painted Dr. Seuss images onto a reading chair. The chair raised $100 in a silent auction at a local Relay for Life event.

Bryn Garick, Editor-in-Chief

WEB EXCLUSIVE

A wooden reading chair, complete with Dr. Seuss quotes on the seat and characters wrapped around the legs, was sold recently at the local Relay for Life event, which Oviedo High School’s own team attended.

The school’s team hoped to reach their financial goals for the local Relay event, and junior Nadia Bloom helped to bring the club closer to the goal by selling her hand-painted kid’s chair. The proceeds of the chair went to cancer research in order to help find a cure.

Deborah Shea, Beta Club sponsor, chose Nadia to tackle this chair project.

“I told her: here are some ideas and I trust you explicitly, just go for it,” Shea said.

Bloom stated she was very honored to do it.

“I knew it would go to help people with cancer,” Bloom said.  “We live in a world with the technology where we could find a cure in the near future; I definitely want to help do that.”

“It could not be any more perfect, it was just everything.

— Teacher Deborah Shea

Bloom completed the chair over spring break making sure to include various Dr. Seuss stories such as Horton Hears a Who, The Lorax, and Green Eggs and Ham.

Shea knew about her talent and was blown away with the chair.

“It could not be any more perfect, it was just everything,” Shea said.

The chair brought in a total of $100 in a silent auction.

“It was $30 for a majority of the day and then all of a sudden, those last two hours between ten and midnight, these ladies who had been walking all day just kept coming back up and kept checking and checking.  It was going up by increments of five,” Shea said.

Bloom has been drawing since she was young.

“I’ve always wanted to create.  Every time I see a picture I feel the urge to pull out a pencil and draw it, to draw something,” Bloom said.

Shea has stated that she is unaware of what the theme is for next year, but she is totally open for Bloom painting another chair.

“I have no clue what the theme will be next year, but if she’s interested, I’m definitely going to have her paint that chair again,” Shea said.