Keisha Jordan advocates for student mental health

“I’m a believer in God, and I think purpose is a big thing – and a part of who I am is answered by this work,” she said.

Logan Hayes

New Horizons Counselor. Keisha Jordan, works on her laptop before school.

Audrey Choate, Managing Editor

In addition to the plethora of mental health resources at OHS, the New Horizons therapy program is available on campus for no cost. New Horizons Counselor, Keisha Jordan, maintains a fervent enthusiasm and optimism about her work and counseling services. 

She enjoys her job as a high school mental health professional because she enjoys the various personalities of students, as well as their willingness to come forward about any issues they may be experiencing.

“I love all the different students’ personalities and experiences that I get to learn about when meeting with different students … I love that students are open to and willing to talk about things that are not easy for them and to look for the support they need,” Jordan said. “I hope by putting my best foot forward to support students in the best way that I can, that I’m giving them a space to reach their full potential.”

She feels that she gives her students the resources they need to succeed in their journeys with mental health.

“I feel like I put the ‘battery’ in students’ backs. I give them the confidence and support they need, so they feel like they are a little closer to [be able to] do the things they want to do,” she said. “They feel empowered.”

The New Horizons program features both individual and group therapy sessions. Students complete activities with other students who have similar issues to them; for instance, a group of freshmen concerned about their high school experience can find community and belonging in a space where their issues are shared. 

“This is a space where students can just be who they are and learn the life skills they need,” Jordan said. “I feel privileged to be in a space where people come to me, and people who leave here and feel better about what they’re going through. Knowing there’s students that are benefiting from it, it helps to solidify that feeling.”

Even though this is only her first year working at OHS, she has received a great amount of support and appreciation from students who have benefitted from the New Horizons program and her counseling.

“This is the first time I’ve worked in a school, and, obviously, you guys spend a lot of time here. There is an effect of working with students where they have to be in a place they’re struggling with,” she said. “I feel privileged to be in a space where people come to me, and people who leave here and feel better about what they’re going through. Knowing there’s students that are benefiting from it helps to solidify that feeling.”

While OHS has an abundance of mental health outlets, many students are not aware that these programs are available to them, for no cost. 

“Don’t be afraid to ask for help, because there are people here who are looking to help and support you. If we don’t know that you need the help, we can’t help you. Telling someone you’re not okay can really make a difference,” Jordan said.

Keisha Jordan feels that her work at OHS has impacted her personally and has become an integral part of who she is.