Ben Filler is inspired by his brother

Leonard's

Ben Filler leaps to the side, perfectly catching the ball in his glove.

Merrick DiCarolis, Reporter

Confidence, skill, and pure dedication – these are the words that best describe Ben Filler. Ever since he was a child, Filler knew that he wanted to play baseball. Now a sophomore, he still has a similar goal: play ball at the next level.

Ben Filler is now in his second season as a Varsity Lion and has already made major improvements as a pitcher. He’s currently leading the Lions in Earned Run Average (ERA) with a 1.50.

While the Lions aren’t have the most inspiring season sitting at the halfway point with a 8-9 record. While not the most impressive season it’s better than many expected as this was considered a rebuilding year around the program.

Even entering a rivalry game with cross-town rival Hagerty High School on a four-game losing skid, Filler isn’t worried.

“We have a really strong team and really good chemistry,” he said.

While Filler came into the season as a starting pitcher, he’s taken a new role as the team’s closer. He has saved countless games this season for the Lions.

“My role for the team is to finish games out,” Filler said. “I love pitching in high pressure situations and playing a big role with the team.”

Ben Filler draws inspiration from his younger brother Max, who has autism.

“My brother inspires me to keep going every single day,” Filler said. “If he can keep going and stay positive, so can I.”

His great mindset helps him when pitching in tough situations. In addition to this is his close relationships with friends and family, helping to motivate him as a baseball player and make him into a better person. Not only does Max inspire Ben, but Ben also impacts Max.

“I am a great friend to my brother,” Ben Filler said. “I’m his best friend and everything, you could say I mean a lot to him.”

The Lions have seven games remaining and hopes are that they can finish the season strong. Ben has appeared in 15 of the teams 17 games and has recorded nine strikeouts, two walks, and has only allowed an on base percentage of 182.

These are incredible numbers, only being a sophomore. Filler hopes he can continue to build off this hot start and finish the season strong.