SECME club fosters love for science

Logan Hayes

Christopher Capp stands at the board, speaking to his SECME students.

Clare McCoy, Reporter

The SECME club is a long-running but relatively unknown club between elementary, middle, and high schools. SECME, which stands for Science, Engineering, Communication, Mathematics, and Enrichment, inspires students in STEM and allows them to fuel their love for science into creative projects and competitions.

The club’s sponsor, Chris Capp, is a proud and beloved physics teacher in Oviedo High School’s science department.

“I like watching the students suffer and struggle, because the beauty of it comes when the projects come together,” Capp said. 

He has been the sponsor for all 11 years of his teaching and enjoys inspiring and challenging his students to create. With his love for his students and science, SECME is the perfect outlet for his passions.

Sonny Maiorino, 11, is the club’s vice president and a third-year member.

“I feel like he’s the only one that could do it, he’s chaotic but he definitely brings the right energy,” Maiorino said. “The best thing has been seeing the club grow over three years.”

It’s that energy exactly that won two teams the top three in the competition this past February at UCF. Along with the math competition, members of the club participated in many of the events, like the egg drop, bottle rocket, bridge, and hanglider. These projects were meticulously crafted starting in September, and the members’ hard work paid off.

But, as much as the club is for science, a lot of students use it to make friends. Finding other people with the same interests and ambitions is extremely important for those who wish to continue them after high school. Capp’s environment allows students to branch outside of their comfort zones and learn more well rounded skills. 

“I like being able to work with friends and being able to use that experience in the real world,” Timothy Doucette, 12, said.

The goal is never to learn how to do one science subject perfectly, but instead how to integrate what you learn in school to your everyday life.

SECME is so much more than meets the eye; for those who choose to join will find a world of new interests and people. But, in addition to it, is Capp’s infinite love for all things science that brings the club’s energy and environment to a level not typically seen in school.