Scott Waisanen’s soccer pitch legacy transforms Oviedo

Traiz Zakaria

Coach Scott Waisenan stands at the front of his class, teaching his students the work.

Brady Vaiarella, Reporter

Oviedo High School prides itself on its great academics and exceptional athletics, which helps shape it as one of the best schools in the region. When you think specifically about its historical successes, one specific program comes to mind.

One of the most dominant sports at Oviedo is girls’ soccer which has transformed the program into a powerhouse known far and wide across Central Florida and the entire state.  

This success is largely credited to Coach Waisanen, who took over the squad in the 2005-2006 season after returning to Oviedo as an Alumni where he and his brother amassed two legendary careers with the Lions. Waisanen advanced his career at the collegiate level to play for the Wofford College Terriers in South Carolina. 

Upon his arrival, the program took flight and slowly developed into one of the best in the area. Oviedo Girls Soccer boasts four state championships – all in the last decade. The team had back-to-back undefeated seasons from 2016-2017, which was the first time in program history. 

Waisanen has had a lasting impact for hundreds of players across his tenure, some of which carried on to become Division-1 athletes, tearing it up on the pitch at the highest level. 

“I like how he gets on us at times to do better and makes us a better person while also making practice fun and enjoyable,” said senior Sofia Johnson.

This season, Coach Waisanen is honored to be accompanied by his daughter Roen Waisanen, a senior this year for the squad. Roen has grown up around the team, which has helped her realize the importance of being a Lady Lion. 

“Growing up with the team has always motivated me to play my best,” said Waisanen. “I know how hard you have to work, and the determination it takes to get to that point.”  

Coach Waisanen has truly built a legacy that may someday land him in the Oviedo Athletic Hall of Fame. Years of repetitive success is something that can only be achieved through great coaching, and this team has plenty of it.