Top ten seniors impress audiences at Honor Roll Luncheon

Niyati Shah, Editor-In-Chief

On Friday Feb 19, the OHS class of 2016 top ten seniors spoke at the 4.0 Honor Roll Banquet. As high achieving members of their class, the seniors covered a wide range of topics, including mental health and passion for activities.

Senior Jing Wu talked of his experience as an Asian high schooler.

“As a recent immigrant to America, the best lesson I have learned is to be confident and passionate,” Wu said.

Areas, such as leadership in the community, were a prominent theme through many of the speeches.

“Leadership is something that is very easily misinterpreted in high school, because there is a distinction and management,” said senior Eliot Nasby. “Managers are those that oversee, enforce, and control. However, true leadership is offering guidance and explanation. It is not about being president of the most clubs, captain of the most teams, or even the most vocal. For me, my experience with leadership has been defined by a deviation from the script, not being afraid to mix it up.”

Senior Patty Miller offered words of inspiration to the crowd.

“Don’t give up on life because it is hard,” Miller said. “Keep pushing so that life gets easier. In the end, it doesn’t matter if you guys want to be a doctor or a fortune teller, just remember to be smart, take action, and don’t give up.”

Principal Joseph Trybus was delighted at the students that received the honor.

“I thought the top ten speeches went extremely well,” Trybus said. “The articulate nature that they use to define themselves and express themselves about their experience in life, thus far, and their experience at Oviedo High School, is impressive.”