Marin Rose and Luca Oliva commit to the United States Naval Academy

Brady Vaiarella

Marin Rose and Luca Olivia attend their swim meet together.

Brady Vaiarella, Reporter

Starting off from a very young age, Marin Rose and Luca Oliva are now two of the most experienced swimmers on the Oviedo High School swim team. Throughout their careers, both of them have earned themselves a vast array of awards that reflect all the hard work and dedication they have put into the sport.

Rose and Oliva both committed to the United States Naval Academy last year to further their academic and swimming careers. The pair even made it to the Division I collegiate level as a result of the swimmers’ hard work.

“My swim career has been about 13 years long of year-round swimming,” said Oliva. “I have devoted my time and dedicated myself to the sport to become the best swimmer I can be.”

After a variety of offers from many different schools, both swimmers ended up choosing the USNA. After meeting the current team, they felt a strong connection with their fellow midshipmen. 

“I knew it was where I wanted to be most,” said Rose. “And hopefully where I would be [the] happiest and most successful.”

The pair both competed at the most coveted event in high school swim – the state championship. Last year, Oliva’s relay won the 4×100 freestyle event where he received his championship medal.

Helping them along in their careers, coaches Charlie Rose and Eric Christensen played a huge part in getting them to where they are today. Christensen is the assistant coach of the OHS swim team and Head Coach of the Blue Dolphins.

“Starting off young, they both joined me when they were nine,” said Christensen. ”That early development has enabled them to have good practice habits and technique that has continued all the way to high school.”

Now in the back end of their careers, Rose and Oliva plan to finish off strong. Both are sad that they have to leave all of their teammates they have made special bonds with over their career.

Both of these swimmers have great, fruitful careers ahead of them. They hope to bring the Navy Swim and Dive all of the success they have provided Oviedo with these past four years.