New dress code policy benefits all

Danielle Stein

Students Andrea Adams, Lia Swanson, Mia Johnson, and Laila Saini discuss the dress code.

Kaden Bryant, Editor-in-Chief

In previous years, students have been pulled from their class over a sliver of their thigh, an exposed shoulder, or even a mere tank top beneath the unforgiving Florida sun. Instances of unnecessary restrictions like these among SCPS students have sparked a controversy over the dress code for decades, but thanks to a recent change in policy, that no longer has to be an issue.

After considerable pushback from unhappy students, the Seminole County School Board approved a change on July 26, 2022. With the improved adaptation, the goal was to form a “safe, orderly, professional atmosphere for all students”. The new guidelines allow students to wear what makes them comfortable while still having the ability to express themselves as they wish.

These new requirements include: tops have straps and cover from armpit to armpit, down to the thigh is covered, and pants completely cover the buttocks with no undergarments exposed. As a result of this, individuals can now wear weather appropriate clothing – including the addition of hats.

This progressive change is an incredible victory for several reasons. Not only does it benefit students, but staff as well. There were too many flaws within the old system and the new one is much more accommodating for everyone.

In the past, the strict guidelines were unfair and often seemed targeted toward traditionally feminine clothing. It also did not take into consideration the different body types of students and how the same piece of clothing could be considered acceptable on one person, but not another.

To put it simply, dress codes in general have a history of being sexist. Many women felt singled out by the former policy and would be forced to miss vital class time when their outfits weren’t deemed appropriate by it. This was a major source of discomfort, causing them to feel sexualized for their fashion choices.

Additionally, the new code is much easier for staff to enforce. Teachers often felt uncomfortable dress coding students because it could then create conflict between them in the classroom, but that no longer has to be a concern for any faculty members.

By broadening what the policy permits, everyone is able to live more comfortably, people no longer have to feel targeted by unfair regulations, and students are able to express themselves better. High school years are often spent experimenting with self-identity and fashion choices are only one inevitable stop along that journey.

It’s evident that the new dress code is a tremendous victory for all SCPS students who have been eagerly hoping and working toward achieving this positive change for their community.