Celebrating Black History Month

Danielle Stein

The Black Student Union’s banner to celebrate Black History Month around campus.

Joemi Cordonero, Reporter

Black History Month is a time to honor the legacy of black culture and significant figures in history. It originally began as a way to spread awareness of black history, bringing attention to the contribution people of color have made to society.

It’s in February to celebrate the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass’s birth month. Both of them are attributed to their efforts for independence of African Americans and the month is also attributed to other African American accomplishments that have occurred throughout the years.

“Black History Month is very important to me and other African Americans,” said junior Riyan Tuck. “It honors and highlights historical figures that aren’t recognized in your everyday history class.”

At Oviedo High School, the historic celebration is sprinkled around the campus. The Black Student Union has put up flags around campus and placed books written by black authors in the library’s front display case. While Black History Month is only a month in a year, the union appreciates and provides knowledge and unity to students.

“The Black Student Union is not only for black students,” said senior and Co-Event Coordinator Kianna Scott. “But with our 9% African Americans, seeing more people who embrace their culture can just make them feel more in place.”

In the past, there has not been much for Black History Month – but now there’s an initiative to do more. The union has also been recently deciding if there should be a spirit week to commemorate the month, going along with the banners and displays in the library.

Other clubs have done things to celebrate the month as well. Posters and bulletin boards dedicated to other black lives that impacted science or are influential can be found around the school. 

“I really appreciate that our school is even making an effort to celebrate Black History Month,” said sophomore Uriah Williams. “Seeing as that not every school does.”

Throughout Black History Month, Williams has posted quotes from influential black figures as his way to celebrate the month. He added on ways Oviedo could better celebrate the month better by educating students to “…pay homage to the black heroes that came before us.”

Another initiative has been made this month and brought to light by Dr. Daniels. With the coming school year, there’s a new semester class available teaching about black history. The class includes the chronological events that have affected their lives that were not mentioned in previous history classes. 

Even though Black History Month is only once a year, there is always time for everyone to appreciate and celebrate the individuals who have impacted our lives.