Different religions take on the Christmas season

Diego Lara

HAPPY HANUKKAH- As winter break approaches, Christmas is not the only holiday being celebrated by students at Oviedo.

This story was originally published in the second edition of The Lion’s Tale (December 13th, 2021).

As classic Christmas songs begin rolling in and stores overcrowded with festive decorations take up shops, the feeling of the winter season is finally upon us. Not only in stores, but also on campus. 

After Thanksgiving some start preparing for Hanukkah. Hanukkah celebrates the rededication of the temple. The menorah, commonly associated with the holiday, is the seven-branched candelabrum holding eight candles usually lit at sunset.

“It’s honestly more than just lighting the menorah and getting presents eight days in a row,” said sophomore Camryn Harber. “It’s cultural significance..isn’t just Christmas for Jewish people.”

Hanakkuh’s celebration commemorates more than just the past. 

“It kind of  ties everyone together and that there’s hope… like anything is kind of possible and you have to really believe,” said junior Arianna Pollack.

Many people celebrate Christmas time with family and partake in dinners without truly celebrating the holiday. For example, Islam celebrates two different Eids.

Eid al-Fitr celebrates the ending of Ramadan, a fasting period used to bring people closer to God. It was made for their prophet, Ibrahim, for his sacrifices. 

“Even though we don’t celebrate Christmas… we still go around and look at lights and go to Christian friends’ Christmas parties,” said senior Yasmin Nasserdeen.

Atheists spend the holidays with family and friends without a religious background.

“I celebrate [Christmas], it’s more about family and just loving everyone and happiness,” said senior Sebastian Sanchez. 

Everyone celebrates the holidays differently, some base it around religion, while some merely use the quality time given with their loved ones, we can all appreciate the holiday season.