Holiday season brings good tidings and joy to Oviedo

Logo design by Elliott Woodmansee-Siress

This story was originally published in the second edition of The Lion’s Tale (December 13th, 2021).

This holiday season, families across America were able to spend Thanksgiving together. Here in Florida, 61.3% of citizens are. vaccinated, allowing indoor gatherings to be held safely.

However, a new COVID-19 variant, Omicron, has been detected in the U.S. According to the World Health Organization, Omicron is deadlier than the Delta variant. Thankfully, the new variant has yet to be found in Florida.

President Joe Biden recently announced plans to reduce the prices of prescription drugs, mainly insulin. In late November, Biden released a plan to reduce the costs of gas, in efforts to restore the economy.

On a lighter note, as the December holidays approach, celebrations and gatherings continue to be held in both Oviedo and Orlando. In Oviedo, many events such as Light Up UCF, ROTC’s ‘Toys for Tots’ drive, Oviedo on the Park’s ‘Santa Paws,’ and many others will be taking place this December. In Orlando, theme parks Disney and Universal are hosting holiday- themed light shows and Christmas tree lightings.

Here at Oviedo High School (OHS), the athletic department is hosting their annual Christmas tree fundraiser. Trees have sold out, with all profits going towards athletics. However, there are many other spots around Oviedo to purchase a real Christmas tree such as Home Depot and Lowe’s.

Speaking of holidays, in our second edition of the Lion’s Tale, we will be reporting on everything holiday related this season- from students who celebrate different religious holidays during December to the new festive inflatables seen around campus.

We will be debating a few controversial holiday topics: Peppermint vs. Pumpkin spice, Real vs. Fake Christmas Trees, and to travel or not to travel over winter break. Be sure to check our opinion section to see the staff ’s take on these debates.

Similarly, we are covering all winter sports at Oviedo- including winterguard, boys and girls basketball, girls weightlifting, boys and girls soccer, and the dance team. We’re also discussing girls who joined the boys wrestling team and how music affects athletes.

In our entertainment section, we are reviewing new albums from Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, along with full coverage of ‘Spiderman: No Way Home’. The long awaited Marvel film will be released in theaters on December 17th.

Our culture section is reviewing holiday events in Oviedo, as well as the decorations in Orlando’s theme parks. Check pages twelve and thirteen for reviews of local holiday events and the latest fall and winter fashion.

As winter break approaches, students at Oviedo are beginning to prepare for exams. Exams start on December 14, and end on December 17.

With the holiday season approaching as well, between exams and Christmas shopping, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Here at the Lion’s Tale, our staff wishes everyone the best of luck on exams, and a wonderful winter break.

We also hope that everyone takes time for themselves this month, so take it easy the next few weeks- enjoy the holiday events around Oviedo, spend time with family, and most of all, have a very happy holidays!