Coronavirus ends senior sports seasons

The+senior+players+on+the+girls+varsity+lacrosse+team+pose+for+a+picture+at+their+makeshift+senior+night+at+Bartram+Trail+High+School.+

The senior players on the girls varsity lacrosse team pose for a picture at their makeshift senior night at Bartram Trail High School.

WEB EXCLUSIVE

The coronavirus has grown into a global pandemic and has halted the world’s activity to a complete stop. Cities known for their business have been shut down and put under 30-day quarantines in order to contain the spread of this contagious virus. But amid this global pandemic, senior athletes in high school have lost their senior night experience, a moment that most have been waiting their entire high school career for.

Senior Ximena Rosasco is a varsity athlete who plays both basketball and lacrosse. Due to COVID-19 and school closures, she was unable to finish out her lacrosse season and have her senior night.

“To the people who don’t think missing senior season is a big deal, it is. Coming from me, trying to commit to a college, I can’t commit anymore. There’s zero possibility of me going to school for lacrosse,” Rosasco said. “The moment that you’ve been looking forward to since you were five years old, you won’t be able to do any more. You won’t have that satisfaction of finishing the season, you’ll never know how good [you] could possibly be, the last moments of you ever playing your sport is gone and your season’s over.”

Girls varsity lacrosse had a chance to hold a makeshift senior night at Bartram Trail High School, but it’s not the same as having one at home on John Courier Field, but still doesn’t compare to the vast majority of senior events that seniors will be missing out on.

“COVID-19 ruined this part of my life. This was supposed to be the prime time of my life. When you’re eighteen, you’re supposed to be enjoying your life, but this year I didn’t get a senior week, senior picnic, senior breakfast, senior night. I didn’t get any of that. I probably won’t even get a graduation or a senior prom,” Rosasco said.

Senior Matthew Camp is on the varsity boys water polo team and their season got cut short, much like other spring sports.

“Initially, I wasn’t too concerned as our season was just postponed for a week or two. We are now waiting on the FHSAA’s decision,” Camp said.

Camp said he believes that the season will just be cancelled, as the stay-at-home orders and other cancellations have ended other tournaments and activities.

“It is a big deal because for many athletes. This is their last chance to play their sport. It also means many athletes are missing the senior traditions they have been looking forward to. We didn’t get to have our senior night,” Camp said.

Not only are student athletes being affected, but parents and family who have followed and supported their children through their entire careers may have unknowingly watched their last game and will not be able to watch the real last game of their career.

“My parents have been to all my games and the game that would have been my last game ever after playing a sport for 13 years, they couldn’t go to and that makes me hurt for them,” Rosasco said. “To think the thing I’ve had my whole life consistently, is gone.”