Everyone deserves respect

Our Word – Editorial

This editorial was originally published in the fifth edition of The Lion’s Tale (March 15, 2017).

“Treat others how you wish to be treated” is one of the most common proverbs about respect. Parents and teachers express this saying to ensure that their children understand what respect is and why it is important.

Yet, some people today still don’t understand the concept of “respect.”

Respect is defined as “a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements” according to the dictionary.

Respect can be shown through actions, words and other various forms of relations.

As high school students, we all experience respect daily.

For example, in the classroom, students show respect by listening to the teacher, following the teacher’s rules and even showing respect to other peers’ opinions. By showing respect towards others, you earn their admiration, allowing for better relations with them.

However, although many students are respectful towards their associates, there are some classes consisting of students that don’t respect each other or their teachers.

These students are disrespectful by exerting various signs of degrading elements, which include, but are not limited to, using the middle finger, cursing, not following instructions, and enacting forms of violence.

Everybody has the right to be respected; politicians, presidents, teachers, parents, friends or even strangers all deserve some type of respect.

For example,  President Trump deserves respect for standing up on a stage and expressing his opinions. He is now our president and deserves respect based off his authority; those who are above us in rank deserve our respect becasue they’re there for a reason.

We, The Lion’s Tale, have a staff compiled of different students filled with staffers of who have different opinions and insights, yet everyone still respects each other.

When we brainstorm, everyone has an opportunity to throw out an idea and discuss the idea in a safe environment. Although our staff has different opinions and beliefs, we still give each other respect.

Respect should be given to everybody, regardless of sexual orientation, gender, race or occupation. It is beyond wrong to disrespect somebody because they are different than you.

Though located in different areas of the world and pursuing different aspects of life, every person of every race, of every gender and of every sexual orientation deserves the upmost respect