ASVAB guides career choices

WEB EXCLUSIVE

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) exam provides direction for students, helping them determine in which jobs they could excel. Though it is provided by the military, it’s not just for people interested in joining the service.

School counseling director Nicola Williams stated that it is a great tool.

“The ASVAB exam is a great test for students to take if they are wondering about careers and career exploration,” Williams said. “It’s a tool for students to plan out their future education.”

The school offers the exam annually, and it is free for students. The next date to take the exam is Feb. 28.

The ASVAB covers general science, arithmetic reasoning, word knowledge, paragraph comprehension, numerical operations, coding speed, auto and shop information, mathematics knowledge, mechanical comprehension and electronics information.

The ASVAB exam is aimed at juniors and seniors, according to NJROTC’s Chief Ron McKelvin.

“The ASVAB exam is only good for two years,” McKelvin said. “By the time you’re a junior or senior you’re more developed, and your skills with math and science are as well.”

Senior Noah Mathison stated that his test results helped him.

“I’m not looking for a career in the military, but I took the ASVAB exam and it helped me narrow down the career paths which I’m currently looking into,” Mathison said. “I think it’s a great exam that helps students that are confused about what to take on after high school is over.”