Administration enforces campus policy

WEB EXCLUSIVE

Just after Thanksgiving break, the school began daily announcements at 3 p.m. to remind students that the campus had closed.

Assistant principal Drew Morgan stated that Oviedo is not the only school with the policy.

“Actually, every other school in Seminole County does it,” Morgan said. “It has been unofficial at Oviedo High School for as long as I’ve been here, and since it’s been announced there have been improvements.”

According to Morgan, the campus is looking cleaner, and poor behavior is at an all-time low.

“Obviously not all students are causing problems, but there isn’t any supervision on campus after 2:45,” Morgan said.

The rule was put in place because the school day is over at 2:20 p.m. and teachers’ contract hours are up at 2:45 p.m. There is no staff supervision past 2:45 p.m., and because of that, students are asked to leave the campus unless under direct supervision of a teacher or staff member.

According to AP statistics teacher Angela Kilmer, the initiative has reduced litter.

“It also kind of reduces on mischief,” Kilmer said. “I cannot think of any negative responses to the security going into full effect.”

This policy is it doesn’t affect clubs in any negative manner. Clubs are allowed as long as a teacher is supervising the students.