New year, new Covid variant and happenings at OHS

Logo design by Elliott Woodmansee-Siress

This story was originally published in the third edition of The Lion’s Tale (January 31st, 2022).

In central Florida, 2022 brings not only a new year, but a new strain of the Coronavirus. Averaging just over 1,000 cases a week in Seminole County alone, the Omicron variant is nothing short of an interruption.

Local urgent care centers have a minimum of a two hour wait for a PCR test, and many test centers are quickly running out of tests as the virus spreads rapidly through Oviedo. 

We at the Lion’s Tale hope that you take the necessary steps to combat Covid during this surge in cases. Booster shots for the virus are available at most pharmacies, and although they don’t necessarily provide full protection against new variants, they can help lessen symptoms and prevent hospital visits. 

Similarly, taking all steps to avoid contracting the virus is important in order to stay healthy during these peaks. Continue regular hand washing, wearing a mask when necessary, and social distancing as much as possible. 

However, the Omicron variant has not changed much here at Oviedo High School (OHS). Masks for students and teachers are suggested, but not required. Classes remain in person, as well as school-related events. 

With the new year, OHS has lost Ed Kershner, the namesake of our basketball court and longtime coach. Kershner was 81 when he passed, and coached boys basketball for 27 years at Oviedo. 

On a lighter note, beloved biology teacher Cherie Brinkman was crowned as SCPS’s Teacher of the Year at the high school level. Brinkman is the second teacher at OHS to win this award, and the full story will be covered in our features section. 

Our features section will also be covering the importance of mental health resources in schools, as well as coverage on OHS’s arts and choir programs. 

The start of a new year brings new seasons, and we will be covering all winter sports, including basketball, soccer, and wrestling. Our sports section is also giving readers an overview of the college commitment process for a look inside how OHS’s athletes take the next step in their careers. 

Meanwhile, our entertainment section will be covering the new releases of highly-anticipated shows and movies such as ‘Euphoria’ and ‘Don’t Look Up’. We will be covering the most anticipated releases coming in 2022 as well, so be sure to head over to entertainment for the full story. 

Be sure to check out our opinion section for opposing views on whether 2022 will be a better year or not, and future plans regarding college. Our culture section will be covering fitness related New Year’s resolutions.  

Whether or not 2022 is “better” than last year, we hope that our readers take time for themselves this year.

Finally, the Lion’s Tale staff wishes everyone a happy, healthy new year and second semester.