Teachers leaving midyear impacts student learning

Our Word – Editorial

This editorial was originally published in the first edition of The Lion’s Tale (Sept. 14, 2016).

Students arrive on the first day of school full on nerves and anticipation about meeting their new teachers for the upcoming year.

As the first few days of school pass by, students grow more and more acclimated to their new surroundings and their new teacher’s teaching style.

Then, just like that, it’s all for nothing, as students are informed their teacher has left, and they will be meeting their new teacher in the upcoming days.

The process starts all over, and students once again have to grow acclimated to a new teacher, and what feels like a new class.

We at the Lion’s Tale believe that teachers apbruptly leaving is a major inconvience and disservice to students.

In the professional realm, it’s foolish not to pursue the best possible opportunity for oneself; however, when it comes to teaching, the impact on students must be considered.

Students are not objects, able to simply reset themselevs and all they have learned because their teacher is suddenly replaced.

Switching teachers mid-term harms students, as it sets back learning and classroom productivity. This is especially an issue when every curriculum is slammed with content.

In our school system, a large emphasis is placed on maximizing time, on having students learn as much content as possible in a short period of instruction.

Classes needing to adjust to a new teacher is the anthises of this and is extremely unproductive.

We acknowledge that teachers leaving after the school year has begun is never ideal for any other parties involved, including other teachers and administration. We also know there is not much administration can do once a teacher decides to leave, other than promptly try to find a replacement.

So, while the blame should not be placed on the school, it is fair to place blame on the individual teacher for choosing to leave after school begins.

There is no reason a teacher could not make the choice to leave their position over the summer, giving the school and students an adequate amount of time to adjust.

Once the school year begins, teachers should have to keep ther jobs at least until the end of the semester so that there is some continuity for the course.

If teachers decide to prioritize professional advancement over classroom continuity, that is their choice to make, but not at the expense of the students involved.

The priority needs to be placed on the students. Teachers leaving once the year has begun is a major disservice to everone involved.

If a teacher wants to leave, he or she should wait until an appropriate academic break to minimize the negative impact upon student learning.

Ultimately, our school system must prioritize students, and that burden falls on individual teachers as well.