Fishing teams catch opportunity for national competition

Courtesy Jason Foss

Dylan Westhelle and senior Fisher Omans compete at the High School World Finals on Pickwick Lake in Alabama in June 2016.

WEB EXCLUSIVE

Fishing is not usually considered a team event, especially by non-fishermen. However, earth/space science teacher Jason Foss changed this when he created a team for teens.

“The Seminole Junior Anglers is a not-for-profit fishing organization that I created that introduces competitive bass fishing tournaments for high school anglers,” Foss said. “I have anglers from not only Oviedo High School, but several other high schools from throughout Central Florida.”

Some members from Oviedo placed in the B.A.S.S. Nation Florida High School Series State Championship that was held April 7-9, 2017, on Lake Harris in Lake County, Florida. Students who placed in the competition  are now able to move onto the next national competition, which is held in Tennessee over the summer.

The teams placed second, fourth  and sixth place at the B.A.S.S. championship.

Freshman Zach Temperly and his teammate freshman Ashton Schmitt finished second out of 80 boats that competed in the B.A.S.S event. Temperly is one of the team members that is going to nationals this summer.

“It is an honor to get the opportunity to be able to go to nationals in June, in Tennessee, to represent Seminole County alongside other team members from the club,” Temperly said.

Junior Joseph Walker stated that the national competition is a big event.

“It’s the biggest event for all of Florida high school bass anglers–there are four qualifying tournaments, and the last tournament is the championship,” Walker said. “The championship is basically the Super Bowl for Florida high school bass fisherman.”

There is another competition the qualifying teams are participating in, on June 26-30.

“We will also be fishing the High School World Finals in Florence, Alabama, on Pickwick Lake,” Foss said. “At this event, over 200 teams will come from all over the U.S. to compete.”